Saturday 25 July 2015

Slow and Steady...

...wins the race.
Or at least that is what the saying & the Tortoise + the Hare story would have us believe, however I cannot hand on heart pretend that that is what my approach to riding has been so far this year. My approach has been slow and steady although not because of a planned out end goal but more because circumstance.


Whatever the reason my girls are forgiving angels who let me clamber on board after 3 weeks of sitting in a field and potter about their business like they haven't had a break. Yes Nancy, here's looking at you kid! ♡
*swoon*

Closest thing to a group shot of the 3 of us

We have had a good week comparatively speaking. I got three spins in on Nancy, two arena walk/trot sessions and one leisurely stroll in the woods.
Kika has had two quick pessoa lunging sessions and came along in her head collar for our walk in the woods. My youngest sister will be back in Lux for a visit from Tuesday to Sunday next week, so hopefully the four of us will get out for plenty adventures together. Company is key & a great motivation *nod*

#happyplacewithaviewbetweentwoears

Both girls have been very very good. I have taken things easy on all of us with our reintroduction to under saddle work. Nancy & I have been sticking to walk/trot work in the arenas, with the focus being more on getting her to relax down into a more long & low frame to build back up some of the lost muscle. All the while trying to remember to keep my brain engaged and to ride the corners and support her through them in all gaits. #sighmyissues

Mucky Moo
I'm taking a similar approach to Kika's return to work but using the pessoa lunging aid instead. As slow and steady under saddle work with Kika just leads to her looking for distractions and us fighting/bickering. Plus we had been having some struggles with our canter work under saddle way back when I rode slightly more consistently then this last month. The way I see it building back up her muscles with the training aid of the pessoa (which she enjoys working in) saves both our sanity, our relationship & builds a solid foundation to work from when I do climb back in the saddle for arena work. I will of course continue to ride her for strolls in the woods when others volunteer to come with me and ride Nancy for Kika's hand/hoof-holding☺

My two girls together after something spooked Kika
 so she walked faster to be minded by Nancy
who didn't even flinch an ear

None of our arena work has exceeded 25 minutes as all three of us need to build back up condition and the weather has continued to be warm and heavy in the evenings. Thankfully this weekend is forecast for plenty rain to refresh all the air around here. Sure it will limit my saddle time as ponehs will be wet....but this is actually a blessing in disguise as i have my first guests staying in the flat. Myself and 2 friends planned a Marvelathon - a marathon viewing session of all things Marvel Movies. Except for the Incredible Hulk #sorrynotsorry
This is my indoctrination/total immersion after i fell of the MCU cliff at the deep end when I went to see a back to back showing at the cinema of the two Avengers films. Then dove head first into binge watching Agents of Shield and Agent Carter on t'interwebs.

12 comments:

  1. Enjoy your marvelathon! :) The girls look great (as always)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Marvelathon was a fan way to spend a wet weekend.
      You're very kind with your complements to the girls, I'll pass on the well wishes to the primadonnas ;-)

      Delete
  2. Oh, Marvel marathon! That's the spirit!
    Just look at the last three weeks as an unexpected, planed time off session. ;) they will be back to work in no time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Marvelathon was awesome, I'm lucky he girls are very good to me and very forgiving of all the time off they have been getting

      Delete
  3. "Mucky Moo" hehe! You have great girls <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are super special, I am blessed to have them and grateful every day

      Delete
  4. Catching up still but I hope you have a blast when your sister visits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love spending time with the family especially when the weather has been so good to us

      Delete
  5. Oh! Marvel marathon! That's the spirit.

    And the ladies are looking good after there wee holidays :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad everyone is doing well and that you're getting some riding in. I haven't ridden in months, but with a heat index of 115F I just can't do it. I'm so ready for cooler weather. I used to be a summer girl, but now I'm beginning to not like it. :\ Oh and I agree, company is the best motivation!! Riding alone just isn't as much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope things cool down for you soon & that saddle time increases for you too *hugs*

      Delete

I love to hear from readers, thank you for your comment :-)