Tuesday 26 January 2016

Heart Horse

I hear/read about people talking about their heart horses and while I love both my girls dearly I am not sure they are "heart" horses to me. I don't feel bonded to them in such a way that they would pine for me if we were separated. Although I do miss them and find myself grouchy if i don't get to ride them often enough (usually through my own fault/laziness) - however I do not think that feeling is specific to these horses. I think I would (and have in the past missed) any contact with horses. What can I say...crazy horse girl through & through here!

All images borrowed from instagram
- credit to those who shared them there first

Kika is honestly prob more horse than I can actually handle - well maybe I can handle her better now but it is often a fine line and there was deff a time a few years back where it got super rocky. But she like myself loves to jump, I am pretty sure we would both have a lot more fun together if i could organise myself enough to set up and then put away fences every couple of weeks. Note to self - *TRY* to do that at least once a month...okay maybe every couple of months!


Nancy is probably closer to a heart horse as i did covet her from her early days and feel blessed to have been in a position to include her more permanently in my life. She greets me whenever she sees me and is a genuine pleasure to be around 99% of the time. Nancy is like a puppy dog whereas Kika is more like a cat - happy to see you when you can do something for her...less enthused on other occasions. However K is more vocal when I arrive since Nancy joined us, so long as the transfer of good behaviour continues to be from Nancy to Kika and not vice versa - it bodes well for me ;-)


In saying all this, I started writing this post yesterday afternoon then rode Kika last night. She was an absolute gem - in as much as she ever has been! Sure we had some discussions about spooky spots in the arena & yes there was some fussing in some of the canter work - but nothing was an out and out battle/meltdown. We recovered and negotiated each occurrence with cool relaxed heads which plastered such a huge grin on my face that it is still there this evening and has me so super stoked to ride Nancy tonight and Kika again tomorrow. Hopefully neither of those experiences end negatively for all involved!

Corny - but such joy.
While I may question our relationships in terms of heart horses, there is no doubting or denying the utter joy and satisfaction they bring me after a day in the office. Even just being able to go see them on my lunch beak to turn them out brings me such happiness everyday. As the saying goes for life partners, the same can be applied for horses. I am not sure if we are right for each other - but they sure do feel right for me right now.
*snuggles*



January may have me feeling a little low & stressed with bills/insurance renewals/car fixing/Christmas.  I couldn't be without either of my safe havens; heart horses or no. I loffs them and couldn't imagine my life without them now that I have them.


17 comments:

  1. Excellent cartoons! Teehee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww yeah, I think even if the horses in our lives aren't necessarily heart horses, that doesn't diminish our love or current bond with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree! Just like people, just because it maybe isn't a forever/happily ever after relationship, doesn't mean it isn't equally valuable and special in it's own way!

      Delete
    2. Thanks guys, I felt kind of awkward writing this post. Almost like I was belittling our bonds - whatever they may be *blush*

      Delete
  3. Aw that's a great picture. I hope the stresses melt away. Mine are incredibly heavy right now. I feel you. But horses make all so much better.

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure do!
      No matter the expense, I couldn't be without them ♡♡♡

      Delete
  4. These memes are great - and so is the message <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks C, glad it didn't come across too whiney or woe is me

      Delete
  5. These cartoons are fabulous! I've saved them all as they seem very facebook friendly :) I think we can all agree that January is the worst - here's to an early spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hear hear!
      When the girlies can go back on 24/7 turnout so much stress will be removed, my barn commute will be cut down to once a day & I'll save €400 a month in livery fees. Bring it on!

      Delete
  6. i've never really understood the 'heart horse' thing, but 'utter joy and satisfaction'? that's where it's at for me too :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a tally inspired to write this post while doing my catch up reading of your awesome blog.

      Delete
  7. The whole saying "heart horse" is new to me (I learned it through blogging) and I'm not sure I know what it actually means, but if I ever had one it is definitely Chrome. I know what you're saying with your girls though because that's how I was with my Appy mare. I loved her, but we didn't mesh 100%. It sucked to give her away and I cried, but it didn't break my heart. Selling or losing Chrome would break my heart. There's only been one other horse I came as close to loving as much I do Chrome (and I still love Chrome way more lol). So I waited a long time to find a horse like him to bond with like I have. That doesn't mean I didn't enjoy my time with all of the other horses and it doesn't mean I don't also love Rocky. I bawled my eyes out for 48 hours straight when he had the staggers and I thought he was going to die, but I don't love him nearly as much as I do Chrome.

    I think your girls are perfect for you. Kika was a difficult nut to crack, but you stuck with her and you worked through it. That's admirable! Your bond may not ever be as strong just because of personality differences, but that's okay!! Don't feel bad that they aren't your "heart" horses. There is nothing wrong with that. Nancy might be your "heart" horse, just depends of what the actual definition of that is.... I may never know because it means something different to everyone.

    P.S. I highly doubt Chrome would pine for me if I disappeared.... he loves everyone and would forget about me in no time. That's one reason I have never understood the heart horse thing, because horses just don't love people the way people love horses. They are herd animals who enjoy the company of their herd, but herd members come and go and they easily adapt to that. I know there are exceptions to that obviously, because I have heard of horses who bond very strongly to other horses (or maybe even people), but that doesn't happen all that often. Most horses do just fine as long as they have company, even when that company changes.

    Anyway sorry for being long winded. I got carried away lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww thanks so much hun
      *hug*

      Whether they are my heart horses or not, they are very special to me and I cannot imagine my life without them!

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from readers, thank you for your comment :-)