Sunday 22 February 2015

Soulful Sunday

Another week has gone by where I didn't manage to ride any evening after work. I started with Kika today in the same arena we worked in all last weekend and for our lesson on Monday.
A new small radio was placed on the side of the arena, which Kika noticed as soon as i got on and couldn't walk alongside it to save her life. Bless her brain gremlins *sigh*


Rather than get into a full blown argument with her (thus setting us off on the wrong foot for our spin) i hopped of and let her have a sniff and get up close and personal while i was safely on the floor alongside her. Not that it made much difference to be honest, K just had a bee in her bonnet about the little black box and that was all there was to it as far as she was concerned.

Pretending to be zen
No big deal, I got to work on a circle and put the Diva through her paces. We had plenty sticky moments and a couple more fits from Miss prissy-pants, but all in all it was a very positive spin despite her attempted dramatics.


Our canter work was pretty ropey as she kept getting herself all worked up & by consequence our downward transitions were very poor as she got herself all wound up, tossing her head in the air and flailing. So i had my work cut out there calming her gremlins - challenging but rewarding spin with K displaying her never ending spice despite her increasing age.

My fav photo of the weekend
It was a beautiful sunny day, so I scrapped my initial plan to ride Nancy in the indoor & decided to go for a quick stroll in the woods with Kika along for some moral support. Lol, she is the biggest chicken under saddle but surprisingly stoic as accompaniment - not that Nancy needs hand holding, but i do enjoy being able to spend time with them together.

This is such a sweet moment for me to capture.
 I love how well they get on


It truly was a gorgeous day

20 comments:

  1. Yay for a trail ride! Love that picture of them snuggling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trail rides are the best when I can spend time with both my girls.
      They really are the best ♡♡♡

      Delete
  2. gorgeous photos of the two girls together, that must be so fun going on trail with both of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks it sure is awesome to be able to take them both at once. Nancy I'd an angel to pony Kika like she does

      Delete
  3. love the photos of the two girls, trail riding must be so fun with both of them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOLed at the brain gremlins - I'm totally going to use that haha :) I continue to be jealous of your trails!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She totes has brain gremlins ☺ I can diffuse them sometimes, or power through in other occasions. But they never disappear for long dratted gremlins

      Delete
  5. haha my experience is the older they get the more set in their spici-ness they get ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly she is well set in her spicyness, that was actually part of my monologue in soothing tones to calm the gremlins. Telling her in a sing song voice what a muppet she is to let a little black box derail her so much

      Delete
  6. I absolutely adore their pictures together

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, I am glad I am not alone although...i am somewhat biased ;-)

      Delete
  7. but don't you know radios eat horses??? silly Kika lol... at least she makes a very sweet trail companion - glad you had a fun ride with the girls :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She deff tried her darndest to convince me of that fact, pity I'm pig ignorant and refused to believe her.
      Sorry Keeks, you'll have to pic another battle...but preferably not. Just give in and accept I'm right please ;-)
      She is a fab companion to keep Nancy and myself happy on the trails - otherwise I'd just look silly talking to myself without the second horse ;-)

      Delete
  8. So pretty! :) Don't feel bad. I didn't manage to get out to ride much last week, either. When I finally did my horse did not seem so grateful to see me. Ah well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feels of ungratefullness upon reappearance after absence...or at least Kika is rarely enthused to see me. Bless Nancy she always gives me a hipper welcome and nickered hello.

      Delete
  9. Love the snuggle picture!
    I don't believe in picking fights. In the end, whether you know it or not you lose. Even if you win. Not engaging is so much better. Making things nonissues and not acknowledging certain provoking behaviours. A fight will never fix anything, positive reinforcement is much better. Rewards, who doesn't like that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 100% on rewards, I don't pick fights Kika does by being silly about things she does know better about. If i can get more saddle time in on her again she'll settle back down - but while i lack consistency she will continue to test the boundaries ... that is the beauty of her

      Delete
    2. Hahaha some horses do pick fights! Good for you for seeing thru it tho.

      Delete
    3. She can be a cheeky so and so when she wants to be - going on 8 years together though we also know how to push each others buttons and goad one another ;-)

      Delete

I love to hear from readers, thank you for your comment :-)